Thursday, September 16, 2010

How far is too far? Part 2...

I wrote this anonymous blog because I don’t feel there is a safe forum for parents to question or criticize the practice of dance schools.  I feel that any criticism I make might well have resulting negative effects on my studio or my child.  I have no intention of revealing my identity because I do not want my view to be in any represented as that of my studio, nor do I wish to receive any backlash from the parents or teachers at my dance studio (whom I include in some of my criticism).  But if my identity eventually becomes known I will not shy away from anything I’ve said. 
My comments on the particular routine which caused controversy mid Saturday are based on photos of the costumes (published on a public website by the studio in question), by all three adjudicator’s comments (published on a public website by the studio in question) and by comments made in conversations with people who were in the audience that day.  I admitted that I had not seen the actual dance for clarify, but still commented because that wasn’t relevant to the point I was making.
I think if you re-read my post you will realize that I’m actually saying that this particular costume appears to me to be relatively mild.  The comment on the choreography, for which I use the words ‘a little saucy’, suggests I’m saying it too, was relatively mild (which is not, apparently, how the judges’ saw it, nor some of the parents I heard talking about it).  From what I've seen I personally think it is too mature a look for a group of 12 year olds, but it’s not the worst out there by any stretch.  I think it’s worth making the point that even a very chaste costume can be made to be more adult by combining it with suggestive choreography.  Was this done in this case?  I don’t know, I didn’t see it.  The judges seemed to think so but then, as I speculated before, perhaps they just overreacted on this particular dance as a culmination of everything they had seen up to that point.
I also did not say that that particular routine included inappropriate lyrics, grinding or crotch grabbing, firstly because I didn’t see it, and secondly because those comments related to a different part of my post.
Do I think from what I’ve seen that this routine was the most age inappropriate routine of the weekend?  Absolutely not.
Do I think that this particular dance school’s other routines sometimes stray into what I consider to be age inappropriate choreography or costuming? Yes I do.
Are other schools guilty (in my view) of inappropriate costuming or choreography now or in the past? Definitely.
Do they do this on purpose – to shock, or to somehow corrupt their children?  No, I really don’t think so.  I think the kids are dancing with such advanced skills that we are choreographing to those skills and forgetting that they are still young children.  And in doing so we are changing our perceptions about what is normal for these children, and gradually the bar on what is acceptable rises.  Personally, I’d like that trend to stop and hopefully reverse it.
Is this can of worms that Cameron Mitchell opened on Saturday worthy of discussion?  Absolutely!  There is no doubt in my mind that I am not a lone voice, but I also believe that it is very difficult to speak up against such trends without being quickly dismissed or ridiculed.
Who should judge what is age appropriate?  Every single one of us, of course.  And of course our views will vary.  But in your reply you yourself have made that exact judgment about two other routines you have seen – probably readily identifiable by the studios or parents involved in those routines.  Do you believe they did that on purpose?  I mean, did they put something on the stage that you consider to be so obviously age inappropriate, knowing themselves that it was inappropriate?  Probably not.  They obviously hadn’t looked at it through your outside eyes.
If you had given them honest feedback, would they have taken the opportunity to examine themselves, think again, maybe at least consider altering the situation?  Or would they have dismissed the comments as ridiculous and uneducated.  I’d like to think they’d take your feedback on board, but I guess we’ll never know.
Three independent judges made those comments on Saturday.  Three judges with considerable experience in the dance world and paid to provide a judgment.  Regardless of whether you agree with them or not, surely they were owed the courtesy of at least considering whether – with outside eyes – there may be any substance whatsoever in their views?  The reaction from this studio was (and continues to be) extremely defensive and dismissive, and I think publishing, criticizing and ridiculing the judges’ comments (for days!) was far closer to slander than anything I’ve written in my humble blog.
I don’t think I’ve said anything that is either malicious or extreme, nor anything that doesn’t reflect the views of at least a significant minority of the dance community (I think it’s more than a minority but I won’t pretend to speak for everyone).
Referring to comments made elsewhere (not by you) - while I agree to some extent that having your child in a particular dance school suggests that you are happy with that dance school’s choices has merit but doesn’t quite hold.  We choose dance schools for a myriad of reasons from location to friendships to quality tuition and many more.  We have a lot invested and it is impossible to pull out of a routine of 30 kids at the last minute because you want to object to the choreography or the costume.  In fact we usually don’t see the choreography or costumes until they are well advanced in their design, and to be fair to studio directors, you can’t possibly run a dance school with a committee of parents commenting on every creative decision of the studio.  I think we have to trust that the people into whose care we entrust our children – schools and after school activities alike – will act responsibly, will look after the children's best interests and will be accountable if they do not.  But  I do not feel there is any accountability or even any voice for parents to object if we feel those standards are lapsing within the world of children’s dance.
Actually, I’ve often thought it would be wonderful if dance schools did anonymous feedback surveys now and then to ask their parents what they like/don’t like/could improve about their schools – and ask them whether they are happy with things like costuming.  I fill in forms like that when I go to the bank or the dentist or a hotel – I’ve never heard of a dance school seeking that kind of feedback but perhaps it would be educational if they did.
My question to those studios who push the limits is this – what value does it  add?  Can’t you be innovative, creative, challenging and spectacular without having to resort to small costumes and adult choreography?  I’d say, absolutely you can.  There are many examples of fantastic group routines from all ages that would meet anyone’s definition of modesty.  I’d like to see more of them.
I also absolutely know that there are some parents who have taken their children out of this dancing world, or have hesitated to join it, because of this very issue.  What a shame that those kids miss out on all this fun, and that the dance world potentially misses out on their talent, just because we can’t create a more welcoming environment for a slightly more conservative audience.
By the way, fanny flasher is a term I first heard from a cranky dancing dad about 3 years ago, I thought it was very representative and have used it often since.  I’ve heard it used by others.   I was not sitting behind you.
One commentator referred to the recent debate as hysteria.  That’s surely not referring to this blog because I don’t feel there has been any hysteria from me.  I’m trying to calmly argue a point of view.   It seems to me the hysteria is coming from those who are on the defensive, and it wasn’t even to those people that the majority of my comment was directed – but they are largely the ones who got this debate going.  It feels like I might have hit a nerve.  Surely if the judges’ comments had no merit, it would have been a more graceful approach to ignore them (or lodge protest with the eisteddfod organiser if they felt it was warranted).  Not to malign and ridicule them and anyone who agrees with them.
And finally, no, not a journalist or writer, although I appreciate the complement.  Just a mum who was trying to make people see things from another side.  Trying to highlight that not everyone is happy with the state of play.  Trying to support judges like Cameron Mitchell and his colleagues, who dare to comment on this issue and who, as far as I can tell, have remained silent despite being so publicly ridiculed for their views.  Trying to argue that the world of children’s dance should be about the children first, then the dance – that we choreograph to their age, and then incorporate their skills.
I didn’t ask for this topic to be raised, but now that it has been I've chosen to speak, and I certainly don't regret that.

22 comments:

  1. Awesome articles (by a dance teacher - and yes, I have asked parents for feedback forms at a previous school I was at.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was led to your blogspot by a friend.

    I personally find it very hurtful that in this post you are singling out one studio & saying that their behaviour (post eisteddfod) is inappropriate.

    You are obviously on fb and have many different 'connections.'

    So.....

    Do you know the terrible things that have happened towards my children's school this week?

    Are you aware that another 'well known' Sydney dance school published a video on facebook parodying my children's dance school and their training methods....

    Now that to me is inappropriate behaviour.

    My children's school never NEVER rubbishes other schools. They ALWAYS tell the students, the parents and the world to respect other dancers and other dance schools!!

    Do you know that another dance school rubbished my dance schools teachers & teaching methods TO THEIR SENIOR CLASS! This dance school TOLD the senior students that all my school's teachers were doing was making money off other people by selling dvds.

    HOW INAPPROPRIATE & UNPROFESSIONAL IS THAT???

    I LOVE the joy, the respect, the professionalism, the passion & the technique that the WONDERFUL AMAZING TALENTED AND BEAUTIFUL teachers share with my three children.

    My children will grow up to be amazing people (not just amazing dancers)because of the teachers at their dancing school. I wouldn't want it any other way.


    The teachers at the school are very very hurt by the comments that have been made post-eisteddfod regarding their studio. I have been involved in all facets of dance for over 30 years (as a dancer, a teacher, an examiner, a competition organiser, a judge and as a parent) and I have never seen the likes of the behaviour happening this week post ADC.

    Thankfully my children are blissfully unaware of what is happening as their teachers are praising their efforts from last weekend, and carrying on 'business as usual' even though they are broken hearted inside.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - thanks for your post.

    I won't back down for saying that I believe the actions of one particular studio post eisteddfod was inappropriate. I think that posting the comments of three independent judges on a public website and ridiculing those judges opinions is inappropriate. But in the main I just wanted to support the comments of those judges as part of a wider debate which goes well beyond this one school, and to provide a forum for that discussion to take place.

    The behaviour your are describing sounds just as bad if not worse. I don't know your school nor the school you are referring to, but from what you describe I think that behaviour sounds completely inappropriate and unprofessional for completely different reasons than the purpose of my blog. I'm glad you've had the chance to air it here, I hope that you have other more direct channels to air it to as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The school my children attend is the one you are refering to. I am just posting from my google email and my own dance school came up as the publisher.

    I do not teach my own children, I give that job to others!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, that clears that up then!

    I agree with your comments that the behaviour you describe is completely inappropriate and unprofessional. I am unaware of it and can't comment.

    At any rate, I repeat that I am not singling out your children's dance school for any reason other than the publishing, criticism and ridicule of judge's comments.

    I wrote a blog sharing my opinion about (what I believe to be) the increasingly age-inappropriate choreography and costuming that occurs in children's competition dance, and that comes very many schools.

    This school chose to make a public issue of it - I have chosen to respond to issue that by arguing the alternative.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The definition of Judge... "To form an opinion or evaluation of after careful consideration." (They did what they were paid to do. We don't have to accept every single opinion, but to disregard them completely would be ignorant and arrogant.)

    A lady who I met once on the train once gave me some advice on preparing caeser salad and I ignored it. I didn't have any respect or value of her experience or understanding of the situation at hand. The next day a famous chef, known throughout Australia for his amazing food, offered me some advice...

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ok - i am trying to post quiet a lengthy comment - and it just wont work...Sorry for the multiple posts of nothing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know that many people want this topic to die down or go away, I think, in terms of the reactions / responses of some, that would be a very wise thing. However, the risk this creates is that the topic of what some are calling inappropriate in children’s dance will no longer be debated, and unfortunately (or fortunately) I believe that it is a topic worthy of discussion.

    I have been watching some of the discussions unfold, both here and on Facebook, and have to say that I agree with Dance World Mum’s decision to maintain her anonymity. By virtue of some of the responses / reactions I would say that should Dance World Mum’s identity be known she would personally be attacked, rather than debated which I can only assume was her intent.

    I too was at the eisteddfod that has generated this discussion, and firstly can I say Ben Stokes and the people at Australian Dance Challenge ran a very professional, entertaining event with many stand out performances from many schools. The children and young people that danced at this competition have amazing technique and ability and should ALL be applauded. Congratulations to Ben and the ADC people & volunteers. It is such a shame that this event has been tarnished by some of the reactions that have resulted from the supposed controversy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Con't

    I must say up front that I empathise with the parents, students and teachers at the school that feels unduly targeted by this blog and many other posts – it must be an awfully frustrating and emotional time for all involved. But unfortunately, that must be where my empathy ends. I support the comments by others that the behaviour reported to have occurred in response to the school posting adjudicators reports is not appropriate and ethical behaviour – but nor is the behaviour of the school that received the criticism/comments on their reports.

    In response to the supposed outrage & hysteria, I feel that it is important to remind people that dancing competitions in their nature are always subjective, and results are based on the given adjudicators personal views and mood on the day. The behaviour from all sources that followed the routine in question, including the public ridicule of the reports, inappropriate comments to photos, insensitive comments about children’s beliefs or body types, aggressive responses to people when asked for comment, but didn’t like what the comment said, and the overall vibe to this blog show that certain people are only willing to accept subjective comment as long is it supports their own views. Whatever happened to allowing people to be individual and express their thoughts and feelings in an open forum? And more to the point why are people dancing in competitions if they are not willing to respect the comments / reports that they receive from the adjudicator on the day?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Con't


    I did see the routine, and whilst I would agree with the comments about the perceived sexualized nature of the routine, the costume was not an issue for me. Now clearly I will be seen as a conservative person, and maybe I am, but as with everyone, peoples experiences, values and beliefs form who they are and how they may respond to a situation. My experience, values & beliefs tell me that not everyone that watches or is involved in dance is there with a pure heart – so why do we need to put our children out on display, in a manner that makes them grow up so fast, particularly with limited clothing, excessive make up, and suggestive choreography (and this is not solely based on the school that feels targeted). The question was asked “who determines age appropriateness”, my response to that is – we all should, society does and the benchmarks are based on what is considered developmentally age appropriate for each child, and therefore their capacity to adequately understand what is being asked of them.

    Why isn’t there an neutral association based set of standards available for children’s dance competitions? This would alleviate the issue of appropriate vs inappropriate, and the subjective nature of adjudicator’s reports?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Con't
    All of that said, I do have to address the wide and varied comments I have seen about the adjudicators at this eisteddfod. Human nature makes competitors prefer one judge over another, and adjudicators will also obviously have factors that determine their own preferences. However, who are we to complain or criticise adjudication, when we signed up for the opportunity to dance in front of them. Whether there is 1 or 3 adjudicators, they are there for the purpose of providing comment, and they are there because of their standing and expertise in the dance or performing arts industry. Just because we don’t agree with them, does not give us the right to ridicule their opinion.
    Of interest to note though when considering the reaction of some to the feedback about offensive or inappropriate routines, is that on this occasion 3 professionals made comment about a routine (maybe they made similar comment about many routines, has any one considered this possibility?),

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. con't

    maybe some wrote their remarks with a little more tact than others, or maybe they just didn’t want to rock the boat, maybe they liked the routine and commented in this way as a form of feedback based on how the routine could be perceived, who knows – unless you are the person who wrote the comment!

    ReplyDelete
  17. con't

    But lets consider, in law, a reasonable persons test is applied to determine if something is offensive. A reasonable person can be defined as “an intelligent non-expert person, that is a reasonable person, being put in a position able to consider the evidence that might have been available at a place or time. The test becomes: what would a reasonable person do under these circumstances, given the evidence or being exposed to a particular situation.” If three professionals, who by virtue of their position on that day, are considered expert, passed the comments they did, is it not fair to assume that an intelligent, non – expert may feel the same way? I think from the response to date, that seems to be an assumption that can safely be made.

    ReplyDelete
  18. 2nd last con't

    Now that I have had my rant – and my 2 cents worth, I can only support the comments of DanceWorld Mum in her question of why we can’t be more creative in the way we package our children? There are obviously so many talented and creative dance teachers out there, with all of the time, energy and thought that goes into creating a routine, can we not look to include “how will the children be perceived when they perform this, and is that a perception I want for my students / child?” in to that process. (Oh and if you answer yes to this last question, that this is what you want for your student / child – then so be it, but that does not mean that everyone else has to agree with you)

    ReplyDelete
  19. And Finally Con't:

    BUT enough of the aggressiveness that has been going on over the past week – we are the adults and it is up to us to teach our children how to respond, not only in times of achievement and reward, but also in times of challenge and criticism, that is what will make our children well adjusted adults, not who incited the most reaction from the most inappropriate comment!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for your comment Shaz. I'm sorry that you had so much problem posting the comment - there is obviously a character limit on this blog, but I appreciate that you persisted.

    Of course I like your comment because you seem to have agreed with me! (thanks) but I especially like that you didn't use capitals in the post at all. I'd love if this discussion could proceed in a balanced, well considered way but it appears that those arguing against my views are too angry not to shout. Well, I apologise for angering them - that was not my intention - but I hope calm will prevail eventually.

    I don't know if this blog will continue - there are obviously so many topical issues that could be raised on behalf of dance mums...maybe someone else could start a blog - I'd be happy to contribute my thoughts and even if the blogger upset me, I'd try to argue the point rationally. Shaz, you seem like a talented and calm writer, why don't you start one. ;)

    Regards
    DWM

    ReplyDelete
  21. Just so you are aware. I don't use capitals to shout. I use it to emphasise a word or a phrase, as I would use intonation in speech to do the same thing. Just as Shaz has capitalized 'BUT' in her last comment.

    ReplyDelete